Pulmonary rehabilitation is an outpatient education and exercise program designed to help pulmonary patients become more physically active, independent, and self-reliant while learning to manage chronic lung disease. Rehabilitation is held in a friendly, supportive group environment at the Wheat Ridge Occupational Medicine and Physical Therapy clinic.
Our staff is comprised of a multi-disciplined team for individualized care needs, including respiratory therapists, registered nurses, registered dietitians, physical therapists and exercise physiologists. All staff are experienced in caring for the special needs of individuals with chronic lung disease.
- Improve quality of life for patients and families
- Increase lung disease management skills as well as improved physical conditioning
- Help patients and their families adjust to lung disease with improved self-confidence and increased independence
- Decrease feelings of anxiety and depression
- Provide support counseling
- Familiarize patients and families with community resources, groups and activities
Our pulmonary rehabilitation program is a nine week course of education and exercise. New classes begin every month to accommodate all patient needs. A physician referral is required. The program is covered by most insurance plans.
Education classes meet Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. for three weeks. After completing the education series, exercise classes begin Tuesday and Thursday mornings for six weeks.
Classes are small, which allows us to focus on individual participant goals. The maximum number of participants in an exercise class is eight.
Benefits of the Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Increase in physical strength and endurance with an individualized exercise plan
- Decreased fear and anxiety associated with shortness of breath during exertion
- Increased self-confidence
Lung Disease Support Groups
- E-Z Breathers: 303-467-4122
- Mile High Pulmonary Fibrosis Support Group: 303-467-4122
Schedule Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Ask your physician about the benefits of pulmonary rehabilitation. With your doctor's referral, call us at 303-467-4122 to arrange a time for your first appointment.